Committed to the environment. Period.
At our core, Caraustar is a recycling company. We have an ongoing commitment to protecting our natural resources, and have since 1938 -- well before it was fashionable to recycle. We turn refuse into renewable resources by using renewable practices.
By recycling 4 million tons of fiber annually, we impact the environment by saving:
- 60 million trees
Caraustar’s Commitment to Sustainability
- Caraustar is a socially responsible corporation and is committed to environmentally sound practices.
- Caraustar will continue to develop partnerships with its vendors and customers so we may achieve our collective paperboard sustainability goals.
- Caraustar is committed to the strategic use of the sustainable manufacturing processes, which are built into our corporate culture. We are continually investigating new ways to expand upon this commitment.
Demonstration of our Commitment
- Caraustar has implemented recycling programs for its core and folding carton customers. The scrap board from converting is returned to Caraustar’s recycling plants, processed and sent back to our mills to complete the cycle. Folding Carton Sustainability is a key part of our plan.
- Caraustar uses Lean manufacturing practices and Kaizen events to improve efficiencies and reduce plant waste. In one plant, an event yielded a 43% reduction in make-ready time and, in another plant, we reduced waste by 30% on a line. Our focus includes reduced water consumptions, improved energy efficiency, reduced fuel consumption and reduced manufacturing waste.
- Caraustar uses vegetable and soy inks for the majority of our offset and flexographic printing, reducing the amount of volatile organic compounds (VOCs) released into the environment. We have installed inking systems on our presses that control the consumption of ink and reduce the amount of ink waste by 20%.
- Caraustar packaging engineers analyze customers' structures and substrates to provide sustainable packaging alternatives, while meeting or exceeding specifications. Our packaging engineers redesigned one structure for a customer, which reduced the paperboard consumed by 45%, and reduced greenhouse gases by over 40%.
- Caraustar introduced a fourth paperboard grade, ES paperboard (Environmentally Smart), made entirely of recovered fiber, with a minimum of 50% post consumer waste.
ES paperboard “Environmentally Smart”
Our ES paperboard is made entirely of recovered fiber with a minimum of 50% post consumer waste. ES paperboard is produced at our Sweetwater Mill in Austell, GA.
- 12 - 26 pt calipers available
- Lower basis weight than regular CRB
- Pound for pound stronger than regular CRB
- Greater value than regular CRB
- More moisture resistant than regular CRB
- Improved environmental footprint – less energy, less water, less greenhouse gases emitted, less freight cost
Sustainability Association Membership and Awards
- Sustainable Packaging Coalition
- Institute of Packaging Professionals (IOPP)
- Alabama Recycling Coalition
- The Carolina’s Recycling Coalition
- Recycle Florida Today
- Georgia Recycling Coalition
- Tennessee Recycling Coalition
- Southeast Recycling Development Coalition
- Appointment to sustainability advisory boards for the Greener Package and Package Design Magazines
- 21st DuPont Packaging Innovations Awards: Noteworthy Accomplishment Award for Sustainable Packaging – Callaway Golf
- All Caraustar Uncoated Recycled Board Mills have SFI, FSC, and PEFC certifications.
Caraustar Tree Infographic